Sunday, May 03, 2009

Patience

Things in the last week have taken a turn for the better in some regards and for the worse in others. First the good…

As I have mentioned in previous posts, the altitude has really taken some getting used to in a number of ways. Recovery, volume, intensity have all had to be adjusted in my training as my body adapts to the reduced O2 up here. But last week, actually the Sunday before last, for the first time I noticed whilst riding back from the track, that I was able to apply some proper(-ish) power to the peddles whilst going over a small climb. Gradually as the week has progressed I’ve been able to work at something like the normal effort I would expect to in harder sessions. Up until now, I’ve simply not even been able to push that hard, my lungs were working overtime well before my arms or legs were able to. A good solid 1 hour run on Tuesday has been built on through the week by some good sessions on the bike (turbo sadly some days due to the STILL mixed weather) and again more good running sessions. This included a velocity at VO2 (almost “all out max” effort) run which I managed on LESS rest that I had been doing so back home – a good sign! Unfortunately I slipped up with some food somewhere along the way and ate something with mustard (which includes barely vinegar a.k.a. evil Gluten) in it and struggled through a couple of days. Being reminded of the same feelings of both mental and physical fatigue of last year wasn’t good. It is just SO draining when this happens and I have to just get as much done as I can. But a couple of easier days and by the weekend I was back feeling good again. I managed a really tough 3 hour turbo session on Saturday followed by some swimming and then on Sunday completed one of my favourite (when its finished at least) sessions, which is a threshold (race pace) brick (run/bike) session.

It was really good to feel back to normal again. It’s taken roughly 3 weeks to get to this place though, but with 3 weeks remaining here, I’m hopeful that there’s plenty of time to increase the impact of training at this level. 3 weeks seams like nothing as I sit here now feeling better, but it was sometimes hard to be patient in this relatively short period. I’m glad I was though as hopefully now the foundations are there, I can build upon it over the next 21 days.

On top of this I went to a long to a new church on Sunday called Vine Life (www.vinelife.com) it was GREAT to find somewhere to go that felt instantly comfortable. But more importantly for me, just good to be back in church and with God.

To the bad then…

Swimming has LONG been something of a nemesis for me in triathlon. But recently in the past few months I’ve at long last made some serious progress with it. This is largely thanks to some slightly un-orthodox technical and training help late last year. However, for various reasons, in the last few days, this seams to have evaporated and I feel like I’m back to square one again. And so right now I have to be patient, and keep telling myself not to doubt too much. “It” is there somewhere… and “it” will come back if I just keep doing the same/right things, consistently. This is the time where patience is hard to have… tomorrow has 3 swims on the plan for me. When things are going well in the water, this kind of day is almost enjoyable, but I know that tomorrow it will be mentally quite hard to make myself do it. But in order for the patience that I need to show, to not be in vain, I MUST do it. Hopefully by my next post I’ll have some good news on the fruits of this round of growth in patience. It’s a journey after all so I’ve got to keep pressing on ‘down the road’.

But to finish on a good note…. I was introduced to “Whole Foods”. A store here in Boulder packed full or organic, healthy foods. It’s got an amazing area where they make things like sushi, sandwiches, burrito’s etc… everything you can think of to eat. And it’s ALL organic and pretty much healthy AND they do things gluten free too!!! So my new favourite sandwich is the ‘Boulderite’ on gluten free bread – basically a REALLY good BLT with added avocado, turkey and cheese!!! Hits the spot PERFECTLY.