Sunday, September 06, 2009

Vitruvian Race report - from the other side!

Vitruvian Race report

This is probably the strangest “race report” I’ve ever written... seeing as I didn’t actually race!!! But I have to say its one of the best days I’ve ever had since getting involved in Triathlon many moons ago!

Having sadly withdrawn from competing a few weeks ago after being diagnosed with stress related chronic fatigue and adrenal fatigue, I had decided that as the Vitruvian (and the peeps from PaceSetter Events) had been so good to me over the years, I still wanted to be there for the race and give a little back by helping out.

So on Saturday morning, instead of racking my bike, I was directing competitors to their racks and helping check bikes for numbers and working brakes. There were a surprising number of shall we say… sub-optimal brake set-ups going on. Peoples were oddly surprise at being asked to go and adjust the brakes so that they actually STOPPED the wheels. As was the number of people who turned up to the transition area with less than 5 minutes before it closed… or the few that rocked up AFTER it was “shut” and the race briefing had begun. It seamed odd to me that people who I can only assume had committed weeks and months of time, energy and sacrifice to this day, would jeopardise the whole thing with poor preparation at the last minute.

By 6:20 I was on the jetty by the lake, eagerly anticipating the mass swim start… in the dry for a change. I got a great view of what would have been my wave set off in the mass chaos and washing machine flurry of arms and legs. It was odd to see how slow it looks from the side though… when in the middle it feels like such an intense, flurried and fast first few minutes. Needless to say, two swimmers very quickly pulled away from the pack and began to build a sizeable lead. As the sun rose on a gorgeous day over the dam, it made for a really spectacular sight to see. One of the many reasons this is one of the very best races to do in the UK.

I made my way around to the bike mount/dismount point by transition exit. Standing by a pedestrian crossing point right next the mount line, it was again interesting to see how many people had made the mistake of not leaving their bikes in a low gear. (Maybe some of the “late” comers to transition before the race?) Some struggled so much to get the pedals turning in the 53/12 gear they fell off. But in the truest spirit of the sport, it was all treated well and soon hundreds of cyclist were heading out onto the course. Thereafter I made my way to my first main point of assistance for the day as a marshal at the bike feed station.

This proved to be a great place to be with loads of other volunteers already filling hundreds of High5 water bottles with High5 energy drink and plain water. The crowds were now making their way round to this point at the end of the first lap for the cyclist, in anticipation of their friends and families coming through. Loads of Tri-talk’ers and Pirates were either helping out or cheering each athlete as the came by, making for a really great atmosphere. On a personal level, I was really enjoying the whole event – much to my surprise as I thought I’d find being there and not racing a pretty hard thing to do. But I loved cheering on each athlete as the rode past and attempted to grab a water bottle from my hand. It was a couple of hours that for me, epitomises this race and why its so good. Everywhere there were great volunteers in cheerful abundance and equally cheerful supporters lined the sides of the barriers at the side of the road. I cheered on a couple of athletes as the went through and took splits to try and help the leaders know where they all were to each other… something I know I’m always grateful for.

As the leaders began to return I took splits and in particular, a big cheer of encouragement to my mate (and my pre-race favourite), Joel Jameson who was about 2 minutes down coming back into transition.

I stayed on the bike feed station with the banter between us all continuing and making the time fly by far quicker than expected. The sun was shinning and every athlete that past us seamed to be having a great time. I have to say though that some of the bike handling as they took on and threw away drinks bottles was a sight to behold; but the near misses with dropped banana’s and “in the zone” competitors seamed to keep everyone amused.

As the leaders turned to start the 2nd lap of the 21km run, Joel was now in a commanding lead. I had been asked by race director Ian Hamilton, to head to the finish line and hand out the finisher medals and so made my way over. Its easy to find at The Vitruvian, you simply follow the tremendous music and commentary coming from Sib’s on the PA as she cheers each and every competitor from 6:20am all the way through to the last finisher at nearly 3 in the afternoon; Another thing that makes the atmosphere at the race so fantastic.

Right on queue at a little over 3 hours and 55 minutes, Joel came back to the finish to take his first Vitruvian title in. It was great result for him and a very good time on a day that though warm and sunny, was very windy.

This initiated for me, what was probably the most enjoyable experience of the whole race. I spent the next 4 hours putting “winners” (they’re all winners in my opinion) medals around the necks of everyone who crossed the line. It slowly began to sink in to me what finishing this race meant to each and every one of them. And had the awesome privilege of seeing the look on their face as they went from intense pain, right up to the finish… to complete joy as they received their medals and it sunk in that they’d done it!!! This moment of agony to ecstasy was seen over and over again. It really was an honour to get to see this. To see people over-come with emotion and burst into tears, was for me quite emotional too.

As the hours passed my hands became more and more sticky with the sweat, snot, sugar and who knows what, on the hands I shook before giving them their medals. I simply laughed when anyone of them apologetically wiped their hand before shaking mine; they weren’t the first and wouldn’t be the last to leave me with a wet hand! I stayed for as long as possible doing this, until the presentations began and I got the further honour of along side Triethlon legend, Thomas Hellriegal, being able to present the awards to all the 2nd place finishers in each age group.

Though I came up to help with the intention of simply helping Ian, Mark and their team, in return for the times I’ve enjoyed racing here so much in the past. As it turns out, I got FAR more back than I could have given. I got to see what “this” all means to so many people. To see the enjoyment and love for the sport etched on the faces, re-ignited a little flame in me again… something that has slowly gone out in recent months as the fatigue and everything has taken over. I left Rutland water for another year, shattered… but though not with a winners medal to my name, I think it was almost more satisfying and certainly more empowering.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words of encouragement too. I was blown away by how many of you took the time to chat to me. I can’t wait to see you all again next year… and hopefully share and equally damp congratulatory handshake again!

Meeting Budding Triathlete Jenni Ohren



Presenting awards with the "Legend" himself!!!